Odisha Singer Rocks Bollywood

He mesmerized us with the pensive Main Jahan Rahoon in Namaste London, captured our hearts along with Himesh Reshammiya with Aap ki Kashish in Aashiq Banaya Aapne, shot to fame by bagging the Max Stardust Award 2008 for Maula Mere in Chak De India and more recently he gave us the melodiously haunting Soniyo in Raaz 2.

The voice behind these soulful renditions is Krishna Beura, an Odisha guy who is probably the first from his state to offer his voice as a male playback singer in Bollywood. Back to basics, starting from singing at police functions and other social gatherings to later graduating to sing for two local bands, this lad, hailing from Orissa, has spent his formative years in Chandigarh before moving to Dubai to sing in Hotel Sheraton in the evenings and working as a radio jockey for a FM station.

The singer admits, "No place can be as close to my heart as my home state. I was born in Chennai and spent my formative years in Chandigarh but my passion for music reflects my belongingness to the culturally rich Orissa. I can never forget my roots," says Krishna who is currently staying in Mumbai.

In fact, the artiste who hails from a small village of Kushapangi in Cuttack, even aspires to join Orissa politics later on in his career. "Orissa is a land of aesthetics and simple-hearted souls. But the bitterness born out of ethnic clashes is very disappointing," says the singer.


Krishna found his godfather in Sanjay Dutt, who like him, is a big fan of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. So, Krishna recorded a demo of Khan Saab's songs and presented Dutt. "And to my surprise he not only appreciated my voice but also gave me my first break with Ishq Khudai in Rudraksh followed by Sach Hai Sach Hai Yeh in Rakht and Zindagi me koi kavi aaye na rabba in Musafir," says the singer.

Krishna, who specializes in Sufi songs, has sung for more than 30 Bollywood flicks and also worked in Hollywood with famous American musician Jay Oliver for a song by Sandeep Chowta. Now, he is waiting for Sanjay Gupta's Acid Factory.

Despite his fame in the five years' musical journey in Bollywood, and three awards to his credit, the singer rues about his unpopularity in his own state.

"Neither the media nor the event organisers bothered to bring me into notice. I am dying to perform in Orissa but people don't call me. And even if they did, they were more interested in making some cheap bargain for their events," says Krishna recalling one of the events.

He added, "It was disappointing. It was as if they were discriminating me with some reality show participants. It may not be intentional but still it hurts to see that my own people don't know me well."

Besides Hindi, Krishna has sung numerous tracks in Punjabi, Bengali, Marathi and South Indian languages. Back home, he has lent his vocals to popular Oriya album songs like **Nijhum Raati ra sahara re**, **Aaji mangan kali tora bahaghara** and films like **Rakhiba jadi maariba kiye**, **Dreamgirl** and soon to be released **Prema Rogi**.

About his experience in the Oriya music industry, Krishna says, "There is no dearth of talented people here. But the producers need to pump more money to enhance the technical quality of music." "But as such Oriya music industry is growing. And in no time it will shoot to incredible fame," he says.

Visit Krishna Beura's Official websitet: www.krishnabeaura.com

Notable Songs



Bookmark and Share

Source: TOI, wiki & tribuneindia.com

Comments

Great to know about this. Thanks!

BTW, some links to Wikipedia pages are wrong. Please correct that.
Anonymous said…
I was not knowing this, and probably many in Orissa do not know this. All the best for Krishna to make Odisha name out side the state.

-A.K.Dash-
Unknown said…
awesome yar...

He makes us proud.I also dint know this very very happy by knowing this........

JAI JAGANNATH..
Unknown said…
Its very sad to know that ppl from Odisha itself doesn't know him much...But I must say that you have a very long way to go...Keep the spirits up Krishna...All the best!!

Urmi..
Dharakote said…
Keep the sprit up.
All the best for your future.

Popular Posts